Sunday, March 22, 2009

Poppyseed Chicken

My husband and I have made a challenge for ourselves this week. We are refusing to buy any groceries and instead only cook what we have available in the freezer, refrigerator and pantry. Other than I realizing that I was using the last of the rice tonight (I had plans to make fried rice later in the week), I think it won't be a problem. Tonight I made poppyseed chicken. This is one of those staple casserole that every good southern girl can make. Quick, easy, and filling, it is a great casserole to share. I like to serve it over rice but it would be good just as it is. If you know my husband, you know that he doesn't eat many vegetables, I decided to add a can of mixed veggies in with the casserole to try to get him to eat more veggies. This would be a good option for picky eaters. I have used fresh chicken that I boil or bake instead of canned chicken but since the nature of our challenge, I used what I had available. The canned chicken worked very well in the dish.

Poppyseed Chicken Casserole

2 sleeves of Ritz crackers, finely crushed
1 stick of butter

2 cans of white meat chicken, well drained

1 can low sodium cream of chicken soup

1 can low sodium cream of celery soup

1 can mixed vegetables, drained
House Seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder)

Heat oven to 350*. In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt the 1 stick of butter. Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave and add in the 2 sleeves of crushed Ritz crackers. Stir the mixture until all of the crackers are covered with the butter. Spread half of the mixture in the bottom of a oven safe casserole dish (I used a 9x13 pyrex dish).

In a large bowl empty the two cans of well drained chicken. Use a fork to shred the chicken. Mix in the cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, and the can of mixed vegetables. Gently stir to coat the veggies and chicken with the soup mixture. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Carefully spread the chicken mixture over the crackers. Sprinkle the remaining cracker mixture over the casserole. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment